Heart-Breaking but Soul-Healing: "Lifetime" by Ben&Ben



Can you really say that it's worth it to keep a friendship despite lingering on the idea that it could have been love somewhere along the road? Only to find out a moment too late that it really was love but the both of you were just too afraid too soon to take the chance?

I'm only 19 and turning 20 this July so I wouldn't really know what real regret is until it hits me five years later (So basically, there were certain regrets from when I was 14 years old but things turned out okay in the end... which is now). I've also had my fair share of losing the chances I did not take. But it all turned out fine. It could be that I'm still too young to actually have a huge TOTGA moment yet. Also because I don't think I ever truly cut ties with the ones I didn't end up with, whether career-wise, opportunity-wise and even relationship-wise. There's also my long-developed attitude of being able to accept the things that have happened and to anticipate the things that are yet to come.

Although hearing the song "Lifetime", it gave me a while to step back and really think. There were certain people I had cut away (not just for "romantic relationships"... What does that even mean?) that I couldn't help but think that I might have had a somewhat different life to what my life is now if I didn't cut them all the way through. Would there have been an alternate life just like what it would be in a life simulation setup with multiple endings, depending on your life choices?

Artwork by Nicolai Maverick (from the lyrics video of "Lifetime" by Ben&Ben on YouTube)

The opening line which was "Was there a lifetime waiting for us in a world where I was yours?" honestly nudged me for this. Besides having to reminisce my own experiences, the song took me back to a scene from "Hintayan ng Langit" wherein Lisang told Manolo that she had no regrets... But she knew that there was a "What if" for the both of them. What if they had their own kids and their own life together? Wouldn't they have been happier just as much as they had been in their two different families? Tears well up each and every time I get to that scene, no matter how many times I watch it.

Although in "Hintayan ng Langit", Lisang and Manolo had been able to be in a relationship for at least once in their lifetime. What about Anne Jou, and even all the others that had known a chance but did not take it? They're left to question all the "What ifs". I mean, the friendship was good but would a relationship have made it better? Who's to say, really.

Besides the context of the song, I also loved the art for the lyrics video, which was made by Nicolai Maverick. He's been making the album covers for Ben&Ben for who knows how long and "Lifetime" is definitely one of my favorites. Of course, who would ever forget the amazing art he did for "Limasawa Street"? Phenomenal. And because of that, if you haven't seen the lyrics video of "Lifetime" yet, here's the video. If you're too lazy, here's a sneak peak of the illustrations from the video:




And that's it for this blog. Oh! Before I forget though, I had "Lifetime" on repeat for literally the whole day last June 3 and I'm still replaying it from time to time. It's just really that good. I even roughly recorded myself playing it on my guitar. I'm not sharing that though. It's just for me to keep.

The song gives you a pain in your heart but at the same time, mends it. Ben&Ben takes a personal experience, writes it into a song and makes it universal. I could only wish I had that kind of power with music. For now, let me give you one piece of a very "tita" word of advice:

Regrets will always be regrets.
But how you think past through those regrets will be the thing that will make you grow the most.

Did you ever have a person that you could have ended up with but chose not to out of securing your friendship? Share your experiences on the comments below!



Comments