Katherine Steele: Join our theater cult!

I don't know about other theater kids but I've been in Kath's theater cult since 2017. I mean, it's kind of an inside joke but it does really seem like she runs a theater cult (she said so herself). But before anything else, I'd want you guys to have some context in this post. You might want to check out Katherine Steele on YouTube where she explicitly says, "First we take over Broadway... and then, the WORLD!" at every start of her videos. Let's get her the recognition she deserves! Because not only does she have quality content, she is also fun and interesting with it. She's really helpful especially for people starting out in theater and musicals. She has a lot of how-to videos and musical recommendations up her sleeves. I basically love how energetic and passionate she is about theater. I've learned a lot ever since I ended up following her videos and checking up on her Instagram for some time. (I feel like she's the Amber Scholl of theater. We'll talk about Amber Scholl for another time as well!)

If you've already checked maybe a video or two (or ten), you would know why I adore Kath so much. She's just really quirky and intelligent yet weird and awkward at times. I just love it (even though my mother kind of gets irritated when I have her on loudspeaker because of her high-pitched voice. Sorry, mom!). Recently, I've been bingewatching her again because, well, I'm being sucked into the theater fandom once more.

Funnily enough, I remembered one notification I had of her over the last few months about her reaction to Rent Live. I hadn't been active on watching her for the last few months before quarantine so since I've been obsessed with Rent this week, I turned to her video on her opinions with Rent Live. After I learned that the broadcast they aired on Fox for Rent Live was the cast marking, I had come to understand why I didn't enjoy it as much as the adaptations and Broadway version. Of course, watching her reaction on Rent Live led me to more of her recent videos I hadn't watched lately. My slumpy unmotivated side became active once again.

Watching Kath reminded me of my own passions and insights. I'm not letting the things I believe in slide off as unimportant. I was reminded how passion can definitely get you somewhere if you only stick with it. Now, I know I'll never get to perform on Broadway because I don't really have the vocals for it anymore but I can still write. I've been thinking of writing another musical or one-act play recently. And it's all thanks to Kath's little push of hope. She definitely made it for me today. I really do hope she gets more recognition than she already has now. I'm definitely rooting for her! I feel like she's one of my long-lost Western sister from across the globe.

One day, and I'm definitely claiming this, when I get to see her, I'll definitely thank her for the influence she's had on me. Especially now during this quarantine, her videos have boosted my own ideals and passions despite a very difficult time. If ever Kath is able to read this (oh wow, would that be something amazing), I'd definitely love to see you in person. When I do, I'll give you the warmest hug ever! You've brought me my passion back. I'm hungry for the theater once more. I'm thirsting to write a story once more. It's because of your little push that I'm getting this far (and going even further). I hope to see you on Broadway really soon and I bet we could be great friends.

So for all of you theater fans out there, join our cult!
"First we take over Broadway... and then, the WORLD!"
-Katherine Steele





Comments